Monday, September 20, 2010

NY!...well, actually, NJ

Hi Everyone. Right now i'm starting a new chapter in my life. The one right after college where you don't know what to do with yourself....yeah, that one. I am now living in New Jersey with my brother and sister, while I search for a job and get my bearings around New York City. To bring you all up to speed i'll recount the last couple of crazy days.

I started in Evansville, IN where I led Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur services for Temple Adath B'nai Israel. I started my journey after the Break Fast of Yom Kippur where I drove 3 hours to my friend's house, Fred Onovwerosuoke (check out his website, he's fantastic!) in St. Louis. Now, as I was driving i noticed this huge lightning storm ahead of me. It looked cool from afar with all the shapes it was making, but I was getting slightly nervous. Well, when I arrived in St. Louis the storm was right above me. the lightning looked just like this:

That wouldn't be so bad except for the torrential downpour that immediately followed, where I couldnt even see the edge of my own lane, let alone the edge of the highway. Somehow with an almost dead phone in this crazy storm i made it.

There wasn't much down time since a few hours later I got up to make my flight at 7:30 am. I was afraid we weren't going to make it out of the airport but thankfully we were cleared. On the way up the captain got on the loudspeaker to tell us that we would be experiencing moderate to severe turbulence. It was kind of like a REALLY bumpy roller coaster ride, and definitely with the stomach drop. But all was well and I made it to Philly...Philly?? yeah, I'd rather go by train than fly to Newark after that.

So I picked up my two pieces of luggage, mind you they are both over 50 lbs, and my two carry ons and headed for the train. Well, you have to take a train to 30th st. station where you can then take amtrak. The problem with all of these trains are that they are not meant for a woman with 2 huge pieces of's one at a time, also with a big gap between the platform and the train. So I enlisted the help of a few nice men who pushed my other piece. I felt bad for the guy who was really having a hard time rolling it through the amtrak train as I was cursing under my breath for stopping every 2 seconds because my bag kept getting caught on the chairs.

Finally, I made it to Newark and my sister, Kat, picked me up and brought me home. So, here I am. Tomorrow I will brave the wild looking for a job in the City, and I hope I come out alive...also with a job.

1 comment:

    Thetan's cousin Cassandra just graduated as well. From the words of a newly graduate, sounds like this is all good "character building!" I am excited for you and I am sure you will have so many great memories and stories to share with us on your blog.